Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Garlic Scape Pesto Pasta

I have to admit, I never had garlic scapes before, let alone know what it was!  This was a pretty cool experiment for me.  The "co-op" I get my veggies from included a recipe in their email for this Garlic Scape Pesto Pasta, so I went from there.  The original recipe called for 10 garlic scapes, and many reviewers said it was too much.  So, I cut it back to 5 garlic scapes, and YOWZERS, it was still really garlicky.

After eating it, I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth, even after brushing my teeth, doing mouthwash, and eating 3 salt water taffy's and 2 cookies, it still wouldn't go away! I know..you're thinking, "I thought you were a clean eater?" Yes, I do eat pretty clean, but I like my sweets, and I can't resist salt water taffy from my favorite place in Delaware, I had to buy a box! But anyways, I'm getting off tangent.

Since it is just me and my husband, we always have leftovers.  When I reheated it, I added some plain Greek yogurt.  Also, I think with cooking it a bit more, it mellowed out the garlic flavor.  Sooooo...here is my recipe, and hopefully it won't require you to eat massive amounts of cookies to get the garlic taste out of your mouth.  Also, I wouldn't recommend making this for a first date or impressing the in-laws! It may not end well.

Garlic Scape Pesto
(Serves 4-6)
Adapted from Epicurious

5 garlic scapes
1/3 cup unsalted pistachios (if you use salted, just don't add more salt!)
1/3 cup shredded parmesan
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor and go until it is smooth.  To mellow out the garlic flavor I recommend heating it up in a small saucepan on low.  Add to cooked pasta, use the pasta water if you want to thin out the sauce more, but mine came out fine. I topped the pasta with more parmesan, and had a simple lettuce and tomato salad on the side.  Enjoy! Super Easy to make!!


No comments:

Post a Comment