Monday, October 14, 2013

Greek Stuffed Peppers

So...my veggie and fruit shares are coming to an end.  This is my last week of fruit shares.  I have 4 or 5 more weeks left of veggies.  Makes me a bit sad...although my freezer is stocked full of veggies and fruit, and my pantry has a bunch of jarred jams, sauerkraut, and pickles.  My winter should be pretty tasty!  but again reminds me that winter is coming....I really hate seeing pictures of winter scenes, I don't know why the news keeps trying to remind us of what is coming, I don't want to see that! I enjoy the nice turning of the leaves, let's enjoy Autumn for a bit longer...

Here is a nice hearty warm recipe, puts your oven back to use again now that the weather has cooled.  I remember growing up on stuffed peppers from my mom, from what I remember, they were pretty bland.  I want to say it was literally white rice, ground beef and crushed tomatoes-stuffed into a green pepper.  No seasoning or anything.  Here is a recipe that is super tasty and gives it a little Greek flare! Now I only had 2 peppers to use, so with the excess of meat mixture, I made some "meat muffins".  I greased up some muffin tins and stuffed the mixture inside and cooked it along with the peppers.  Both were incredibly tasty! I added a nice salad on the side of mixed greens, pears, feta, and balsamic vinaigrette!

Greek Stuffed Peppers
serves 4-6
adapted from Ellie Krieger

1 pound ground beef
1 bunch of swiss chard, chopped and steamed (or can sub spinach or kale)
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 small onion, diced finely
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 egg
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 red or green bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
Crumbled feta cheese, use as much to your liking!

1) Premake the rice as per package instructions, and steam the swiss chard so it is nicely tender. Preheat the oven to 350 degree fahrenheit.
2) Mix the top 10 ingredients and 1 can of the stewed tomatoes, just until combined.  Don't work the meat too much or it will become tough.
3) Stuff those peppers with a mound of meaty goodness, if you have extra meat, make some meat muffins!
4) Top the peppers with the remaining can of chopped stewed tomatoes, and then with feta.
5) Put the peppers on a baking sheet or baking dish.  Bake in the oven for approximately 75 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink.
6) Eat and Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment