Thursday, June 27, 2013

What to Make with Cabbage

When someone hands you a cabbage, most likely you think coleslaw or cabbage soup.  I wanted coleslaw, but not just as your typical side.  My husband and I love mexican food, even more, we love tacos! Using the leftover chicken from earlier this week and adding a few other ingredients, we had AH-MAZING tacos!

I also made homemade whole wheat tortillas over the weekend, here is the recipe for them.  It makes store bought taste like wax, they are so well worth the effort! Here is the recipe for the tacos.


Chicken Tacos
(makes about 10 tacos)
adapted from Bobby Flay (foodnetwork.com)

Chicken:
Leftover roasted chicken rubbed with spices
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Oil

I spritzed a little oil on the chicken and rubbed the spices all over the chicken prior to baking.  I roasted it at 425 degrees fahrenheit for about 1 or 1-1/2 hours.  I used a digital thermometer to track it, I kept it in the oven until it reached 176 degrees, then pulled it out and let it rest.  It continued to cook until it reached the 180 you need.  Then pull off the chicken and either shred or chop it up!

Someone was a fan of the chicken....

Coleslaw:
1/2 cup organic mayo
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1 teaspoon celery salt (or use celery seed and add your own salt)
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Pepper to taste
1 small head of cabbage, finely shredded or sliced
2 carrots, finely shredded
3 scallions, sliced thinly

Whisk together the mayo, greek yogurt, celery salt, apple cider vinegar, and pepper in a large bowl.  Toss in the cabbage, carrots, and scallions.  (I only had baby carrots on hand, so I sliced them thinly rather than trying to grate it).  Mix until the sauce evenly coats the veggies, and let it rest for about 15 minutes to let the flavors marinate.  You can keep it in the fridge if you like.

If you have reservations about using greek yogurt, try it in this recipe.  You really cannot taste it, greek yogurt is able to absorb the flavors around it, all I could taste was the mayo.  I like using greek yogurt with mayo because it lightens it up and cuts some of the fat.

Other Toppings:
1 avocado, sliced
2 poblano peppers, sliced

Slice up the avocados, sprinkle with lime juice and salt if you would like.  The lime will keep it from going brown.  I cooked the WHOLE poblanos on a skillet on medium high heat, with a light spritz of oil.  I put a top on it and let them steam.  You will hear them sizzle, but they will start to get a nice char on them.  Once they look almost cooked, pull them off the heat, but keep the top on.  Let them cool down and they will continue to steam until they are tender.  Once cooled a bit you can slice them up.


Once everything is done, assemble your tacos however you like! These were so good, I think my hubby ate them in point two seconds!


No comments:

Post a Comment